Oceania, distant geographically, is predominantly Christian. A Re-evangelization through cultures and cultural expressions is a distinct objective
The Department engages in the following tasks:
- A close collaboration with the different departments within the Dicastery for study and research on the cultural situations in particular areas.
- Working in collaboration with other Dicasteries specially the Propaganda Fide, and the Council for Inter-religious Dialogue in the field of Evangelization of Cultures, Inculturation of the Faith and intercultural dialogue.
- Working with National Episcopal Conferences and the Federations of Episcopal Conferences like the FABC in Asia and SECAM in Africa.
- Working with individual Bishops wherever possible and encouraging and participating in national level meetings on subjects in the Cultural field.
- Cultivating and promoting Catholic Cultures Centres.
- Holding Continental meetings of the Members, and Consultors of the Dicastery and Presidents of Episcopal Commissions for Culture for galvanising the members, as well as for promoting the Dicastery activities.
- Working with Non-Governmental Organisations in the cultural field.
- Cooperation with Ambassadors.
- Interaction with Journalists and Associations in Europe who are interested in Asia and Africa.
- Identifying local journals and magazines and offer them material for publication.