"The Christian Faith at the Dawn of the New Millennium
and the Challenge of Unbelief and Religious Indifference"
Rome, Palazzo S. Calisto, 11-13 March 2004
Thursday 11 March 2004
9:00 Morning Prayer.
9:15 Opening Session.Cardinal Paul Poupard, President of the Pontifical Council for Culture.
9:45 Report of Activities: Most Reverend Father Bernard Ardura, Secretary.
10:15 Presentation of the Instrumentum Laboris: Father Melchor Sánchez de Toca Alameda and Mr Richard Rouse.
10:45 Coffee Break.
11:15 1st Session: The Challenge of the Culture of Unbelief and Indifference Today.
– Identifying the Interlocutor to Engage with Pastoral Responses: the Different Categories of Non-believers and Indifferent, Archbishop Franc Rodé, Prefect of the Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Societies of Apostolic Life.
– The Impact of Small Groups of Non-believers in Catholic Countries: the Elite in Latin America, Archbishop Rosendo Huesca Pacheco of Puebla de los Ángeles.
– The Challenge of Proclaiming the Gospel in Asia among Cultural and Religious Situations far removed from Christian Concepts and marked by Religious Fundamentalism, Cardinal Julius Riyardi Darmaatmadja, Archbishop of Djakarta.
15:00 2nd Session: The Proclamation of the Gospel and Dialogue with Non-believers.
– Personal Dialogue with Non-believers, Cardinal Cormac Murphy O’Connor, Archbishop of Westminster.
– Renewed Apologetics and Fundamental Theology for Dialogue with Non-believers, Mgr. Bruno Forte, Theological Faculty of Southern Italy, Naples.
– The Christian Churches facing the Challenge of Unbelief, Cardinal Walter Kasper, President of the Pontifical Council for Christian Unity.
16:30 Coffee Break.
17:00 3rd Session: A Public Presence of the Church in Societies marked by Religious Indifference.
– New City Missions in Europe, Cardinal José da Cruz Policarpo, Patriarch of Lisbon.
– Initiatives for the Proclamation of the Gospel in Societies marked by Atheism, Mgr. Peter Fleetwood, Adjunct-Secretary of the Council of European Bishop’s Conferences.
– The Mass Media, Archbishop Józef Życiński of Lublin.
18:00 End of Work. Vespers.
Friday 12 march 2004
09:00 Morning Prayer.
09:15 4th session: Evangelising the World of Culture and Cultural Environments.
– Catholic Cultural Centres, Bishop Donal Brendan Murray of Limerick.
– God in the Culture of Technology and the Scientific Mentality, Prof. Yoshio Oyanagi, Tokyo University.
– Educational Institutes: Schools and Universities, Cardinal Francis E. George, Archbishop of Chicago.
10:45 Coffee Break.
11:00 5th Session: Handing on the Faith in the Culture of Unbelief.
– The Way of Beauty, Pathway for Non-believers, Bishop Mauro Piacenza, President of the Pontifical Commission for the Cultural Heritage of the Church.
– The Breakdown of Culture and Faith in the Megalopolises, Archbishop Raphael S. Ndingi Mwana’a Nzeki of Nairobi.
– Forming Competent Personnel in Seminaries and Religious Houses for the Pastoral Care of Non-believers, Archbishop Anselme-Titianma Sanon of Bobo-Dioulasso.
15:15 6th Session: Church and Family, Places to Initiate Non-believers into the Faith.
– In the Family: Helping Parents hand on the Faith to their Children, Bishop Joseph Vu Duy Thong, Auxiliary of Hochiminh Ville.
– The Sacraments, Moments for Initiation into the Faith: the Proclamation of the Gospel to Baptised "Non-believers", Archbishop Joseph Doré of Strasbourg.
– The Catechumenate for Youth and Adults, Cardinal Polycarp Pengo, Archbishop of Dar-es-Salaam.
16:30 Coffee Break.
17:00 7th Session: Reason and Feeling: a Renewed Anthropology to Reach the Non-believers and Indifferent.
– Between Religiosity and Non-belief: New Age, New Religious Movements and Sects, Cardinal Rodolfo Quezada Toruño, Archbishop of Guatemala.
– Unbelief and Secularisation among the Youth: the Response of the World Youth Days, Cardinal Antonio María Rouco Varela, Archbishop of Madrid.
– The Way of Love, Cardinal Ivan Dias, Archbishop of Bombay.
18:00 End of Works. Vespers.
Saturday 13 March 2004
8:00 Concelebration of the Eucharist at Santa Maria in Trastevere. Homily: Cardinal Juan Sandoval Íñiguez, Archbishop of Guadalajara.
9:15 Closing session: Towards the Plenary of 2006. Themes and Proposals.
10:30 Conclusions: Cardinal Paul Poupard.
Audience with His Holiness.