Africa, with its many indigenous populations and many countries with substantial Christian and Catholic presence, offers wide-ranging prospects in the cultural field. The colourful continent with its lively peoples who are fond of dance, music and very spontaneous cultural expressions, hosts also the largest growing Church. The continent is opening up to globalizing tendencies amidst its traditional challenges of poverty and injustices. Evangelization of Cultures, intercultural dialogue, and inculturation of the faith are very valid spaces for work.
The Department engages in the following tasks:
- A close collaboration with the different departments within the Dicastery for study and research on the cultural situations in particular areas.
- Working in collaboration with other Dicasteries specially the Propaganda Fide, and the Council for Interreligious Dialogue in the field of Evangelization of Cultures, Inculturation of the Faith and intercultural dialogue.
- Working with National Episcopal Conferences and the Federations of Episcopal Conferences like SECAM
- Working with individual Bishops wherever possible and encouraging and participating in national level meetings on subjects in the Cultural field.
- Cultivating and promoting Catholic Cultures Centres.
- Holding Continental meetings of the Members, and Consultors of the Dicastery and Presidents of Episcopal Commissions for Culture for galvanising the members, as well as for promoting the Dicastery activities.
- Working with Non-Governmental Organisations in the cultural field.
- Cooperation with Ambassadors.
- Interaction with Journalists and Associations in Europe who are interested in Africa.
- Identifying local journals and magazines and offer them material for publication.
- In particular, establishing the Forum "Faith - Culture - Development"